What goes into a performance evaluation?
Surveys are collected from court users.
Surveys Ask Questions About:
- Legal Knowledge
- Service to the Public
Commissioners observe the judge in their courtroom and review their performance.
Commissioners Look For:
- Plain Language
Commissioners read decisions or opinions issued by each judge.
- Clearly states what the issue is
- Basis for the decisions
- How the judge got there
- What is the outcome
The Judge and other interested parties are interviewed by the commission.
- Opportunity to discuss the Commissioners' findings and what the judge is doing to address issues identifies in the evaluation.
- Determination if the Judge "Meets" or "Does Not Meet" Performance Standards
- Vote count for the decision
- Narrative of the performance evaluation findings